Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Arrival

I was dropped off at O'Hare to be greeted with signs of the Motherland.


Korean Air, the mythical airline with pretty stewardesses, great food, and a free Hwa-Tu cards. I was as excited about flying KA as I was about any part of my trip.

Having gotten to the airport appropriately early, I had some time to kill. I made good use of my time studying my Korean. I have a long way to go before I'm fluent:


I also checked out the duty free shops. Now, keep in mind that I was still in O'Hare, still in Chicago; I got very nostalgic when I saw these sweatshirts hanging as a final goodbye.

Korean Air was everything I thought it would be, minus the Hwa-Tu cards. Every seat has a screen:


Granted, this is my first international flight so I don't know if other carriers have that as well. I partially watched a whole bunch of movies. Saw bits of Amadeus for the first time in years, I need to finish watching True Grit, and confirmed that I Am Number Four is indeed a kid's movie not intended for adults.

The bibimbop was close to being the tastiest I've ever had:


And the takgim (chicken stew), not pictured, was delicious as well. Overall as pleasant of a flight as one could hope for.

But I wasn't here for the flight, I wanted to get to Korea. The wheels touched down, and my life here began...


No comments:

Post a Comment