Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lasek (not a typo)

Okay, I'm giving up on trying to provide a comprehensive view on Korea. I'm also giving up on having a photojournalistic approach. That takes too much time and I'd rather be "in the moment" than worrying about capturing the moment for posterity's sake.

So, about 16 days ago I got Lasek. Wavefront M-Lasek, to be exact.

I've had glasses since junior high, and it's been one of those minor inconveniences of live that I've dealt with. In college I would buy contacts with a prescription update from time to time, but I never felt comfortable.

Why now, in Korea?
- It's sick cheap. I'm not gonna give specifics here, but in general medical procedures are much much cheaper in this country.
- The eye doctors here have a lot of experience. Think about it. In a room full of Asians, how many of them have glasses/contacts? I'd venture to say over 90% of them. They get a lot of practice here.
- I was really really really sick of wearing glasses. I felt like they were shackles on my face, and I hated having to constantly clean them and yet still see them get scratched up.
- The latest (I think) technology. This is the sketchiest reason, because I'm not well-informed about America, but they certainly explained things well. =)
- It's a time for reinvention. It's been a liberating experience to have a fresh start in a completely different country.

Next: How was the procedure?!

No comments:

Post a Comment