Monday, May 9, 2011

Saying Good-Bye to Chicago Food

Anyone who's known me for more than 5 minutes knows that I love food. I've often wondered why. Honestly, I think there are at least 3 reasons.
1. I'm a live-to-eat kind of person. Good food just tastes so darn good!
2. I like experiencing things, and what is more experiential than consuming something?
3. Food is safe. No one gets mad at you for enjoying food. =) It's sometimes my go-to topic of conversation because food is universal.
4. Food = Comfort

So this is my final post on pre-Korea. These are actual pictures of the food I ate in the last week I was in Chicago. I only gained 2 pounds, but I think my waistline expanded about 2 inches.

Walker Brothers Apple Pancake. The only place where I look forward to the buttermilk pancakes. Thanks, Adelaide!


Pequods in Des Plaines. Great pan pizza that I tried for the first time. That's roasted basil, bringing a nice color to the pie.

Popeyes. Don't underestimate good fried chicken.


Oysters Rockfeller at Buckinghams in Elgin. First time, but hopefully not my last. Perfectly creamy and delicious.

Probably the best burger I've ever eaten, at Prime Burgerhouse in Elgin. Kobe beef, shredded bacon (the real bacon, not cheap bacon strips), perfect amount of cheddar cheese, and even the fries were great. Plus without a doubt the richest most creamy and nuanced milkshake I've ever had, with Pistachios, Honey, and I don't know what else. Thanks, Tom!


Again, courtesy of my brother. The Tomahawk Steak at Buckinghams. Perfectly charred, perfectly medium rare on the inside. The ridiculous and awesome bone made me feel like a Flinstone.

Lou Malnati's. I just cried a little. Thanks, Dave!

Buffalo Joe's and Gino's East in one awesome combination. The wings have really shrunk in size over the years, but the sauce is as amazing as ever. Thanks Roy and Tom!

Paradise Pup. *sob* I miss you already. Oddly enough, I've only gone here three times but every time I go it delivers. My hands down favorite hole-in-the-wall burger joint. Thank you, Young Sook Emo! (I didn't go with her, but she offered to pay for my lunch). Great time, Patrick!


Last and certainly not least, Smoque. What can I say? The fact that this place gets 5 pictures says it all. I went twice in three weeks, and I would have gone more if I could.

They don't give you a lot of mac n'cheese, but boy it sure is good.

The best beans, ever. If other places in Chicago smoke their beans and add brisket to it, I'd like to know.

St. Louis-cut dry rub ribs. 12 hours smoked. Tender, smokey, amazing.

The money shot. The brisket in all of its tender goodness, the barbeque sauce mixing in with the fat and other juices, the meat wrapping itself around my fork. Good-bye, my friend...

Honorable mention goes to Pita Inn. I didn't think to take a picture when I went there over a week before I left.

Next up: Korea, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment