Monday, June 13, 2011

What I Ate: Bulgogi Burgers and Pizza

I wondered what the deal was with some americanized foods here. Namely, the bulgogi burger and pizza. The first couple of weeks, I managed to hit up several bulgogi variants:


Not a bulgogi burger, but this is from a place called Krazee Burger (pronounced "krah-zeh buh-guh). It tastes okay but way overpriced.


Burger King bulgogi burger. Hey, I had to try it at least once.


McDonald's bulgogi burger.


Lotteria's bulgogi burger. Lotteria is almost as common as McD's, and it's a straight-up imitation of it. Owned by Lotte. (By the way, Lotte owns a quarter of Korea. Half belongs to Samsung, and the other quarter is owned by Hyundai).


Bulgogi Pizza from Pizza Etang (chain store).


Bulgogi Pizza from good old Papa John's. The best pizza I've had here.


The conclusion?

Bulgogi burgers are as tasty as a generic American hamburger slathered in corn syrup “bar-b-que” sauce. You can taste the artificiality. Nothing worth getting excited about.

Bulgogi pizza is legitimately good. But it's also pretty pricey, and with all of the other amazing food here, I'd say it's worth it every month or two.
So much food eaten, but I'm not sure how many posts I want to do about them. Much of life in Korea has already become a bit mundane (not necessarily a bad thing). And for health reasons I'm trying to stay away from them (i.e. Tempura, pastries). I figure I have a few more posts in me, though.

1 comment:

  1. To be honest bro, this was probably the least appetizing pictures. Who would have thought, right? Your other pics of the soba noodles, ramen, etc. looked awesome.

    ReplyDelete